Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bottle 'o Rum and a Yo Ho Ho... and Go!

Wow, last night was a blast! Went to the Corner Hotel in Richmond (an inner-city suburb of Melbourne) to catch some Alestorm! Pirate metal, from Scotland. It was a blast. Not to mention, the line getting into the club was pretty dodgy. Lot's of drunk people pretending to be pirates, yelling at female passer-bys calling them "Wenches!" Funny, but, I'm not sure one of the girls knew what was really going on. The openers were great too, H.M.A.S Vendetta and prog-metal band Voyager. I got a ride home with some friends after the show. It was pretty late, and trams at that hour are not run to the most frequent of schedules.

Ohh yeah, and research. Well, I have decided to move most of the region based memory management concepts to the middle-end of gcc, and not the frontend. In this light, I get to work with the traditional gcc API, and write things as a plugin. GCC plugins are really nice, since you have access to all of the typical API that you would, if you were to write a traditional compiler-pass. Not to mention, you can reorder where in the pass-chain the plugin gets executed, and build times are fast, since I don't have to rebuild a stage-1 gcc each time I want to test my changes. Also, I'm sure there will be some runtime hack's I'll need to toss in, especially for Go, which is my primary target. But, working on the middle-end can aid all languages that gcc can consume. That is of course my modifications/optimization is at all beneficial.

-Matt

1 comment:

  1. Dude, you saw Alestorm live?!
    And in 'Richmond' of all places :)

    ReplyDelete